Jo Pratt’s Baked Bramley and Treacle Roly Poly
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
6 tbsp golden syrup
50g soft light brown sugar
225g self raising flour, plus extra for rolling
pinch of salt
2 Bramley apples (approx 450g), peeled, cored and chopped into about 1cm pieces
icing sugar for dusting
custard, ice-cream or cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan ovens/Gas 5
- Put the lemon zest and juice in a saucepan with just 2 tbsp of the golden syrup, sugar, butter and 125ml of water. Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat, and leave to cool slightly.
- Mix together the flour, suet, salt and about 150ml cold water to form a soft pliable dough. Roll out on a surface lightly dusted with flour to about 25cm square, 5mm thick.
- Drizzle the remaining 4 tbsp of syrup over the top and scatter over the apples, leaving a 1cm border of suet pastry around the edges.
- Roll into a cylinder shape and using a sharp knife, cut into 2.5-3cm slices. Lay in the baking dish, overlapping slightly. Pour the lemon syrup mixture in the saucepan over the top and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the pudding is nicely golden and bubbling.
- Dust the cooked pudding with icing sugar and serve hot with custard, ice-cream or cream.