Bramley TiramisuCourse: Dessert
1kg / 2lb Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
200g / 8oz caster sugar
150g / 6oz unsalted butter
550g / 1¼lb cream cheesee
1l / 1¾pt custard
40-60 sponge fingers or 400g / 14oz dried sponge pieces
300ml / 10floz apple juice
120ml / 4floz brandy or cider
150g / 5oz plain chocolate, grated
50g / 2oz cocoa powder
- To make the Bramley puree, place the Bramley apples, butter and sugar in a pan, cover with a lid and slowly heat for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the cream cheesee and custard until smooth.
- Mix together the grated chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Arrange half the sponge fingers or pieces in the bottom of a suitable serving dish (or individual glasses).
- Mix the apple juice with the brandy and drizzle half the liquid over the sponges.
- Spoon over half the cold Bramley puree, level off then sprinkle on a third of the chocolate mix.
- Pour half of the cheese and custard over the chocolate layer. Arrange the second layer of sponges on top. Repeat the layering process, finishing with a sprinkle of the remaining chocolate.
- Chill for at least 1 hour in the fridge. Portion and serve.