Bramley Apple and Frangipane TartCourse: Dessert
275g ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry
100g each softened butter and golden caster sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1tbsp plain flour
100g ground almonds
250g Bramley apples
Juice of 1 lemon
2tbsp apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan oven) gas mark 4. Roll out the pastry and use to line a rectangular fluted tart tin measuring 35 x 11cm. Prick all over with a fork, and chill for 10min.
- Cover the pastry with greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake for 15min until the pastry feels dry to the touch. Remove the paper and beans when cool enough to handle.
- Peel, core and slice the apples evenly. Put in a bowl with the lemon juice and toss well to coat in the juice.
- Make the frangipane. Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg, then fold in the flour and ground almonds.
- Spread the frangipane evenly over the base. Arrange the apple slices on top, lining them up in a row along the tart. Bake for 20-25min until golden.
- Put the apricot jam in a pan with 1tbsp water. Simmer for 2-3min then push through a sieve to make a smooth sauce. Brush all over the tart.
- To serve…
- Slice warm or cold and serve with clotted cream, whipped cream or a drizzle of single cream.