Bramley and Walnut SconesCourse: Dessert
225g/8oz self raising flour
5ml/1tsp baking powder
225g/8oz Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
4tbsp caster sugar
25g/1oz walnut pieces, chopped
150ml/¼pt plus milk to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Stir in the apples, sugar and walnuts; then stir in enough of the milk to mix to a soft dough.
- Roll out the mixture on a floured surface until it is 5cm/2in thick. Press out 9 rounds using a 6cm/2½ in round fluted cutter. Place well apart on a baking sheet, brush the tops with the remaining milk.
- Bake for 10-15mins or until golden and risen. Cool on a wire rack. Serve split, spread with butter or topped with jam and clotted cream.