Phil Vickey’S Bramley Apple Spiced Meringue PieCourse: MainCuisine: English
225g plain flour
115g unsalted butter
cubed Pinch of salt
1 medium egg
2 tbsp cold water
5 large Bramley apples (1 kg)
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
2 tbsp cold water
4 medium egg yolks
125g caster sugar
25g diced salted butter
4 medium egg whites at room temperature (80g)
Pinch cream of tartar
80g caster sugar
80g sieved icing sugar
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp granulated sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the butter, flour and salt into a food processor and blitz until you have fine breadcrumbs. A food processor makes great pastry, but if you do not own one then just make the pastry the normal way.
- Add the egg and ‘pulse’ until the paste starts to come together, then add a little water and mix to a soft dough. Do not over work – you may need to chill the pastry slightly if it’s warm or you have a hot kitchen.
- Roll out the lightly floured pastry trying to keep a rough disc shape of about 30cm wide.
- Roll up the pastry on a rolling pin and unroll over a 25cm x 2cm deep flan ring with a loose bottom. Line carefully and decorate the top edge.
- Prick the base with a fork and line with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and cook ‘blind’ for 20 minutes to set the pastry.
- Meanwhile, peel and core the apples and cut into 2cm pieces, place in a saucepan and add the lemon juice, zest, water and cook over a low heat until broken down and pulpy. Then cool slightly for 10 minutes.
- Once the pastry is ready, carefully remove the beans.
- Beat the egg yolks into the slightly cooled apple puree, add the butter, sugar and stir until melted.
- Pour into the flan ring and pop into the oven and cook until just set (about 25 minutes). Then remove from the oven and turn the oven up to 230°C/gas mark 8.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl and whisk until foamy.
- Add the caster sugar and whisk at medium speed until very firm and glossy, then finally stir in the icing sugar and mixed spice.
- Pipe or decoratively spoon the meringue onto the flan.
- Sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
- Carefully place back into the oven to brown slightly.
- Remove and cool completely, then serve in large wedges with vanilla ice cream.