Juicy Pork Patties with Spicy Bramley Apple SauceCourse: Main
2 large Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
450g lean pork or turkey mince
2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
zest of half a lemon
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp allspice or cinnamon
100mls cold water
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the pork or turkey mince with the sage, oregano, thyme, lemon zest and season well, then if necessary add a little of the beaten egg to bind together.
- Mould the mixture into eight patties, about 7cm diameter.
- Cook the patties in a non-stick frying pan with two tbsp of the olive oil, for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally. Be careful not to let the outsides overcook before the middles are cooked right the way through.
- Place the other 2 tbsp of oil into a saucepan and heat gently.
- Add the spice, water and the chopped apples, and cook for 15 minutes until the apples are soft and pulpy and you have a nice thick stew.
- Finally, season with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve the patties with the spicy apple stew as a dipping sauce.
- Copyright Phil Vickery April 2008